Often, I don’t like it when websites are redesigned. You can get so used to doing things in a particular way that a redesign can throw you off – a typical examples of this happened when I upgraded to the latest version of Firefox. However, the new JournalTOCs design is cool!
The essentials have been kept the same, so you can still easily search for journals, or search for articles by keyword, or browse journal titles by subject or publisher, or Follow a journal, but everything now appears in a much more professional looking interface.
JournalTOCs is a free current awareness service that helps you keep up-to-date with new scholarly publications from multiple publishers (commercial, professional, and Open Access). It’s aimed at researchers, students, academics, librarians and anyone else who wants to scan the latest scholarly articles and link to the full text (where institutional or personal subscriptions, or Open Access, allow).
I’ve written before about JournalTOCs in this blog, in particular: 10 ways to keep up-to-date with the latest scholarly articles using the free JournalTOCs service. I help with marketing JournalTOCs and I occasionally add new journal titles to it, e.g. 24 more Open Access (OA) Journals with TOC RSS feeds added to JournalTOCs, the free journal current awareness service. I’d also like to see more Open Access titles added to it.
With the new website, it’s now possible for anyone to Suggest a journal with a Table of Contents feed to be added to the service.
There are all sorts of really nice things on the new website.
You can see which journals are Subscription (S) or Open Access (OA), and how many people are Following a particular title. And you can add a little personalisation:
You can see journals by subject:
See the latest Tweets about JournalTOCs.
Some of the things you can do with JournalTOCs:
- The latest research research at your fingertips.
- Tables of Contents for 16,300 journals (including 2140 Open Access journals) from 825 publishers.
- Follow journals of interest, and be alerted to the contents of new issues.
- Receive Email Alerts when new issues are published in the journals you Follow.
- Search by keyword(s) within the half a million recently published articles indexed by JournalTOCs.
- Browse journal publications by subject or publisher.
- Export TOC RSS feeds.
- Link from anywhere (a blog, a website, Facebook, an email message, etc) to the latest Table of Contents of a journal.
- Create customised RSS feeds to follow the latest scholarly articles on a topic.
- Suggest new journal titles to add to JournalTOCs.
- Use JournalTOCs API (Application Programming Interface) to create your own web applications that integrate content from freely available journal TOCs.
- Add journal Tables of Contents to your OPAC.
- Customise the service to give your users fast and easy access to the full-text of the most current papers published in the electronic journals to which your Library subscribes.
- View the most Followed journals.
- News from JournalTOCs.